The woodcarving company Lepi was founded in 1920 by Leo Prinoth Senior in Ortisei in Val Gardena, South Tyrol (Italy). Initially, the company was producing ornamental wooden objects such as alphabet letters, buttons, pendant watch cases and brooches, but soon Prinoth specialized in religious and secular wooden sculptures. Woodcarved religious and secular sculptures won from time to time importance and got the most important segment in the woodcarving company.
Maple, bass, oak or pine wood: these are the most commonly used wood species in woodcarving. They are first processed with pantographs, then finely carved by experienced woodcarvers. Each woodcarved figure finally gets the Lepi seal in order to guarantee the originality of the masterpiece.
Today the Lepi company is primarily known thanks to its beautiful, woodcarved nativity scenes. In collaboration with artists such as Giner
and many others, Lepi created nativity figures which are now world wide renown.
The family tradition is nowadays continued by Leo Prinoth Junior, assisted by his sons Alfred, Roland and Diego.